Our new house will be right next to where the old Station used to be, the Station is shown below with a yellow marker, our plot is marked with a red blob.
A bit of History about Fyvie Station
The 2 photos above are the only ones I can find of the actual Station
The three photos below were taken from Catherine Young's booklet 'Wartime Fyvie' and shows more photos of the Station. Catherine's booklet is a really interesting read
A Map from 1856 showing Fyvie Station and where our new house will be, red blob !
This interactive Map above allows you to scroll around the area with a 1913 Map and up to date Satellite view to compare.
You can see above there used to be a Market Area just off the Station where the beasts were offloaded.
The Banff, Macduff and Turriff Junction Railway connected the Aberdeenshire town of Turriff with the Great North of Scotland Railways main line at Inveramsay. A separate company, the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Extension Railway, the junction railway, together with the junction station at Inveramsay, opened on 5 September 1857 and the extension opened on 4 June 1860. Both railways were absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway on 1 August 1866, following the grouping in 1923, the line became part of London and North Eastern Railway and was nationalised, becoming part of British Railways. The Macduff branch closed to passengers on 1 October 1951, completely to the north of Turiff on 1 August 1961 and this line was built to connect the coastal towns of Banff and Macduff with Aberdeen on the east coast of Scotland. It ran for 29 miles across the open Aberdeenshire countryside, the railway was opened as far as Turriff in 1857, then on to Gellymill, just outside Macduff, in 1860. It was finally taken into the town of Macduff itself in 1872, the Banff, Macduff and Turriff Railway Company was absorbed into the Great North of Scotland Railway network in 1866. Following the grouping in 1923, it part of LNER. On nationalisation, in 1947, LNER itself was taken over by British Railways, while the line was being built the company board walked the line to meet the local population to assure them that the coming of the railway would bring great benefits to them. There was such a hurry to open the line, the board even considered running trains before the ballast had been laid. The station at Macduff was above the town and, such was the gradient, in spite of the fact that Banff and Macduff are only separated by the river, to travel between the two towns by rail was a distance of 75 miles. In 1910 this it would have taken 3¼ hours, a year following the opening of the line much of the fencing had rotted. A horse strayed onto the railway and a derailment occurred, the company were forced to renew the fencing at considerable cost. The early locomotives to work the line were Class 1 2-4-0s designed by D. K. Clark and these were fitted with Clarks patent smoke preventing system. They had a series of holes in the sides of the firebox above the fuel, the steam circulated air in the firebox. This better combustion is also reported to have resulted in improved fuel economy, later Class F 4-4-0s were used. One of these employed was the LNER Class D40 Gordon Highlander currently in preservation owned by Glasgow Museum of Transport and on display at the Scottish Railway Preservation Society, coaches used were of the 4 and 6 wheeled variety. Various types of trucks were used by the freight trains and this line was never particularly busy. The first timetable showed three passenger trains and a freight train each way daily and this was soon reduced to three mixed trains